Sunday 18 February 2007

Have you fed the fish?

I think the maids are messing with me. For a start they´ve been reading my Nuts. I came in the other day and found it deposited prominently on the table, away from it´s usual position secreted under a chair.

And today, when I got back to the room, they only left me with one towel. On holiday, I prefer at least 2 bath towels and a face towel, and maybe one for the bathroom floor. It ain´t a holiday without at least two daily showers with fresh towels after each wash. I love holiday showers. The jets are so strong, underneath them I feel my eyeballs being pushed closer inside my skull.

...

Went to the Sagrada Familia today, and on the Bus Turistic. Am getting a clearer idea of the city now. It´s so liveable: the metro´s brilliant and there´s good food and things to do. The Sagrada Familia was impressive, but I can see where a lot of people seem to have problems with Gaudi, and the whole ´moderniste´ thing. I for one prefer Roman/Gothic arches and straight lines, but Gaudi´s cool too. I´m getting used to the wavy curve.

The Sagrada is essentially a huge building site, his unfinished masterpiece that has already taken like a century to get this far. It´s funded by donations and from the entrance fees and should be finished in 30 years or so. Consequently the interior of the cathedral is full of cranes and building materials. My mum, after walking through it, promptly declared it a ´waste of money´. However, I made her apologise to a mini Gaudi stood beside a model of the Sagrada. ´Sorry Gaudi´she said.

Apparently he was killed by a tram in 1929. Poor bloke.

...

At a push I´d say I prefer Madrid to Barca because of the 24 hour city/laid back attitude thing, but I guess it would be nice to go to Barca in the summer. I´ll see how the shopping goes tomorrow. I want to buy a shirt from Zara that I can guarantee no one else has back home. No stripes, no black nor pink, and no slim fit. It´s getting increasingly rare to have an individual style nowadays, what with blokes all wearing the same shirts.

Just ate a pumpkin risotto but it was very salty. Risotto´s Spanish, right? Either way I´m going for a curry tomorrow.

No comments: