Monday 29 January 2007

Wobbly babies

I saw 2 really cute things today.


I was taking some Roald Dahl books off the shelves to be returned to the publishers today and was crouched on the floor in front of the Fiction 8-12 bay. I had piled them up in a corner, making a nice little tower of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and George's Marvellous Medicine.

[Incidently I once tried to make George's Marvellous Medicine. After reading it, I went straight downstairs and mixed some Head and Shoulders with Colgate toothpaste, and added some Listerine for taste, and downed a small cupful. I think I was 9 at the time. It wasn't very good. I didn't shrink and was very disappointed. I told my sister about this a few years later and she was also very disappointed].

So anyway the wobbliest baby approaches my small tower of books (taller than him) and flops onto them, toppling them down to the floor. All the while doing this, he fixes me with his babiest of baby stares. Did he have any concept of what he was doing? His mother appeared within moments, and of course apologised for what baby Leo had done, but luckily I covered for him and said it was my pile of mess.

I had a conversation about my voice today with a fellow employee (a listless wistful girl). Apparently it's warm and welcoming, friendly even. Later, someone else (who has a lovely voice) told me that I have one of those voices that you can listen to for a long time before it begins to grate. I must make use of this.

Anyway the second cute thing occured during my till hour. I think I had gone into a trance after standing rather erectly at the till for a while. A small girl appeared beneath me, along with her mother and presented me with a Doctor Who Top Trump book. As her mother babbled on about handing me her reciept for my 'records' (as I had previously performed an exhange for her), the girl proceeded to tell me about all the Doctor Who books she had. (All the while a queue began to form). I smiled, handed her her book and told her 'well now you've got this one', which seemed to make her day, and they departed.

The next customer, smiled at me and handed me some CDs (Radio 1's Live Lounge, Amy Winehouse and others). She told me 'well, I don't have all the Doctor Who books, but I've got these', and I said 'aah no, those are the things to be reading' and smiled back. The rest of our transaction continued in silence, but she smiled again as she left and stared in my eyes. I think at this point my blood pressure was so low that I was in urgent need of some Jaffa Cakes, so I remained in silence. Sometimes it's nice to be silent though.

I'm going to see Antony and Cleopatra with Captain Picard tomorrow. In my opinion it has Shakespeare's best writing, and is an excellent representaion of love. Waaaay better than that Romeo & Juliet with petulant Romeo, and jailbait Juliet. A&C is a proper love story, about passion and real desire, rather than the fumblings of an inexperienced couple. In a sense it's much like Pat and Frank's relationship in Eastenders, which is the greatest love story ever told, more so than Lancelot and Guinevere, or Tristan and Iseult. Plus Cleopatra is a sexy bitch. Apparently it's about 'melting'...melting states, melting minds, rivers melting, cheese. Well it's not just about cheese. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, jaffa cakes