Sunday 18 March 2007

Myplace or yours?

I have been going [insert social network here] nuts. For the last few hours I've been uploading photos, when I should be doing something far more constructive, like revise for my Theory Test.

I had a conversation with Drew (http://www.myspace.com/iloveyougoodbyemusic) the other day about them. We kind of ambled towards the conclusion that they enable you to construct and present the ideal personality of yourself to your friends. It's what you do - you find the absolute most best attractive pictures of yourself, and then you post these ones as well as others of you smashed and having a great time surrounded by people. This makes you cool.

If you were subversive (a good thing), you could post pictures of you being weird and lonely. This would, however, also make you cool as it would show you didn’t care about how you presented yourself. You see it’s a win win situation, (unlike the current situation Arsenal find themselves in). I suppose it’s all a bit circular really. I love how yours and other peoples’ interests change over time. So and so is no longer listening to Freddie Mercury. So and so has left the group “hummus is my life”. Drew said he’d create a page for himself, fill in all the required details, and then delete it. Wise man.

One problem with these social network jobbies is that they’re all essentially the same. Can you believe there’s no transgender category?! I can hear the collective gush of amazement...it’s incredible I know, especially in this day and age. Where’s my “winky” and “twinky” box? And what about political spectrums? Where’s my “left-leaning on personal liberty but right-leaning on private ownership” box? Hmm, it’s all a bit shifty if you ask me. And don’t get me started on ‘relationship status’. I’m sure people just cannot wait to tick that box that says ‘in a relationship’. If you were inclined, I mean really inclined, you could spend your time waiting, just waiting for people’s statuses to go from ‘in a relationship’ to ‘single’.


Of course, I don’t do that.

2 comments:

clicks, hisses and complicated kisses said...

had to put the arsenal comment in there, dont you.

Anonymous said...

As The Guardian and Radio 5Live keep telling us, Arsenal are the greatest team that have ever existed. That's why they've never won the European Cup, haven't won back-to-back titles since the thirties, and currently lie 20 points behind the Premiership leaders.