Thursday 14 June 2007

Chop Chop

I think I was offended today. Here is what happened.

I was walking along the first floor towards the info point where Robbie, the music guy, was situated. I wanted to ask him something important. As I walked along I heard what I thought was someone clicking their fingers. I glanced over my shoulder and saw a balding man wearing a green t-shirt and khaki shorts looking in my direction. For a moment I paused, but then, thinking that no one clicks their fingers at other people in this day and age, carried on walking.

He then pulled up alongside me and said "so you're not going to help me then?"
"No, I'll help you," I said, (quite shocked actually).
"I'm looking for this author named Byron Katie".
After looking on the computer, I pointed him in the direction of Mind Body and Spirit, just back from where he came.
"Ok, I couldn't see her books there, but I'll try again".

He walked off.

I think the appropriate feeling for this situation was 'flabbergastment'.

In my mind between him asking for 'help' and me helping him I thought I might mention the clicking fingers business. I thought I might say something like "you weren't just clicking your fingers at me just then were you?" I think I didn't say it for a few reasons. One is 'routine': a lot of retail situations are routines that you go through again and again, which you get inured to. Being presented with a new situation like this was a slight shock to the system. I think I froze as well, a bit like when Meg Ryan's character in You've Got Mail can't say the exact things she wants to say to people when they piss her off because she's too timid.

What I wanted though, was to get this person away from me as quickly as possible. I thought I'd answer his query and get rid of him. The only concession I made to revenge, I suppose, was that there was only 1 book of the one he wanted in stock, and rather than lead him to the section and help him look for it (which is what we're supposed to do and I would have done), I just let him find it for himself.

He's probably still there now hunting around in the Occult section.

No comments: